George O. Waring IV MD, FACS
The Gold Standard
George O. Waring IV, MD FACS is a frequently sought after expert in the field of refractive and cataract surgery.
He is the founder and Medical Director of the Waring Vision Institute in Mt. Pleasant, SC. Dr. Waring has served as Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, the Director of Refractive Surgery at Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC), Storm Eye Institute and the Medical Director at Magill Vision Center from 2012 - 2017.
Dr. Waring also serves as Adjunct Assistant Professor of Bioengineering at the College of Engineering and Science at Clemson University. He has served as Clinical Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the Emory University School of Medicine, and a Staff Ophthalmologist at the Veteran’s Affairs Medical Center in Atlanta, GA. Dr. Waring IV is a diplomate of the American Board of Ophthalmology and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Waring IV is active in clinical research and incorporates the latest advances in technology into his practice. He has performed surgery, taught new surgical procedures and delivered invited lectures on four continents. He has over 100 scientific publications, abstracts and presentations to his credit, including over 30 peer reviewed manuscripts, over 50 invited lectures and over half a dozen book chapters on cataract and refractive surgery. Dr. Waring IV a founding member of the American College of Ophthalmic Surgeons, the prestigious Vanguard Ophthalmology Society and the Cornea, External Disease and Refractive Surgery Society. He is active in numerous other professional societies and serves as chairman of numerous professional committees, including chairman of the membership committee for the American European College of Ophthalmic Surgeons. Dr. Waring IV serves on the Executive Committee for the International Society of Refractive Surgery and is the Director for the American Academy of Ophthalmology Laser Refractive Surgery Course. Dr. Waring IV sits on the editorial board of both the Journal of Refractive Surgery and the Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. Dr. Waring also has served on over a dozen scientific advisory panels, aiding in the development of new technologies.
Consistently recognized as one of the Nation’s Top Doctors in Ophthalmology by Castle Connolly’s Guide to America’s Top Ophthalmologists, and as a Top Ophthalmologist and Leading Physician of the world by the International Association of Ophthalmologists. He has received numerous awards and distinctions for excellence in ophthalmology including the American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award, the prestigious Lans Award for innovation in refractive surgery from the International Society of Refractive Surgery, the Presidential Award from the International Society of Refractive Surgery, the Millennial Award from Millennial Eye Annual Congress and the Indian Intraocular Implant and Refractive Society Gold Medal.
He completed a dual degree in Economics and Ecology at Emory University in Atlanta, GA, followed by his Doctor of Medicine at the Emory University School of Medicine. He served as administrative chief resident at the State University of New York and completed his sub-specialty fellowship training in Cornea and Refractive Surgery under the world-renowned mentorship of Daniel S. Durrie, MD. He is happily married to Karolinne Maia Rocha MD, PhD, who is the Director of the Cornea and Refractive Surgery Division at the Medical University of South Carolina. They enjoy time with their son, George O. Waring V.
Awards and Recognition
- Presidential Award, International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Distinguished Lans Award, International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Gold Medal, Indian Intraocular Implant and Refractive Society
- Millennial Award, Millennial Eye Annual Congress
- Top Doctors in Ophthalmology, Castle Connolly’s Guide to America’s Top Ophthalmologists
- Premier Surgeon, Top 300 Innovators in Refractive Cataract Surgery, Ocular Surgery News
- Leading Physician of the World, International Association of Ophthalmologists
- Top 100 Most Influential People Worldwide in Ophthalmology Power List, The Ophthalmologist
- Executive Committee, International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Executive Committee, American European College of Ophthalmic Surgeons
- Editorial Board, Journal of Refractive Surgery
- Editorial Board, Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- First Surgeon to Perform High Speed LASIK and PRK in the United States
- First Surgeon to Perform High Definition Custom LASIK in South Carolina
- First Surgeon to Perform Catalys Laser Cataract Surgery in South Carolina