Before beginning the procedure, you will be administered numbing eye drops. You may also receive other medication to help you relax. You should not be concerned about experiencing pain while the procedure is being performed – it does not involve any pain.
- When you are positioned under the laser, an instrument known as a “lid speculum” is put in place to ensure that your eyelids cannot close during the procedure.
- The surgeon will be cutting a circular flap in your cornea, which will be folded to expose the underlying corneal tissue that will be treated with the laser. First, the area that will be cut is marked with an ink marker.
- The precision of this first step could be affected if your eye moves while the flap is being created. This is prevented through the application of a suction ring at the front of your eye.
- The flap is then created with a surgical tool and then folded back. At this point, the laser comes into play. First, the surgeon will adjust the laser via a computer, using the data collected during your pre-operative exam. The reshaping that the laser is being programmed to achieve will depend on the individual eye problems being corrected.
- Next, our LASIK surgeon will ask you to look briefly at a target light. While you do this, pulses of laser light will be sent to the cornea. The surgeon will monitor this process through a microscope.
- At this time, your cornea is being reshaped by the laser. Its cool, ultraviolet accomplishes this by using by removing microscopic amounts of tissue from the cornea. After this, the flap that was folded back is returned to its original location.
- You won’t experience pain, but it’s possible that you might experience a feeling of pressure on your eye.
- After the laser reshapes the cornea, the flap is then laid back in place, covering the area where the corneal tissue was removed. Then the cornea is allowed to heal naturally. No stitches will be needed, but a shield will be put in place to prevent you from rubbing your eye.
In just minutes, you are on the road to recovery and a new, clearer view of the world and all that is in it. Our clients report to us that quality of life has greatly improved with sharp, clear vision restored – without glasses or contacts.LASIK Charleston SC